Subject: Re: ncr5380sbc and rude targets
To: None <leo@dachau.marco.de, gwr@mc.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/1997 10:30:01

>One other question about the strategy used for this fix:
>Would it not be more correct to assert ATN and send the
>"rude target" some sort of message?  (i.e. "Hey, you SOB!)
>Perhaps an Initiator Detected Error?  I'm not sure what
>might be considered appropriate...

Initiator Detected Error is for parity errors.

I'd suggest that you try ABORT followed by BUS DEVICE RESET
followed by SCSI bus reset, after doing a transfer pad
that is 'reasonable'.

Note that the assertion of ATN isn't guaranteed to be responded to.
Most devices won't respond and shift to message phase until
it's convenient (e.g., after they've transferred that data
that you're trying to shut off).