Subject: Re: Per-user temp storage
To: Frank van der Linden <>
From: David Brownlee <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/24/1997 12:52:15
On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> I don't think modifying a filesystem in this way is a good idea at all;
> it's something that should not be in the kernel. As soon as you start
> plugging holes by modifying the kernel, while there is a good userspace
> solution possible (i.e. mkstemp(3)), then you're on the wrong track.
	It would help if at least source in the tree used mkstemp() rather
	than mktemp(), tmpnam(), tempnam().

	Maybe add a warning for the above functions in a similar fashion
	to 'gets()' - I believe OpenBSD did something like that a while

		David/abs	david@{,,}

     Microsoft: Asks you where you want to go. NetBSD gets you there.
System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet'.