Subject: Re: lightweight processes
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@CS.cmu.edu>
From: Neil A. Carson <Carson@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/13/1997 00:15:16
On Wed 12 Feb, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> [ could you please not send mail wider than 75-or-so columns to these
>   lists?  It maks reading and replying ... a fair bit harder/uglier. ]

Yep, sorry about that. Just been re-setting-up my e-mail system, the editor
of which defaulted to an overly wide window width...

> There are undoubtedly more, similar instances.  None of them
> particularly detract from the description of the design of the code
> (because what's being described is what the 'right' design would look
> like when completely implemented, where 'right' is defined by the
> authors of the book 8-), but it does make the book ... less useful as
> a reference which describes the actual system.

Shame, the book maybe has more of a focus on `the design' rather than
`the implementation' of 4.4BSD.  Or the thoughts that went into the design,
anyway.

The reason I asked (and spotted this) was because somewhere again I read
(though can't remember where this time) that linux had in fact gained such
a kernel feature, and a pthreads implementation was to be released which
made use of it. Such a library would be of great use for multithreaded
programs under the SMP version of the OS; I understood that the MP route was
something NetBSD was going to look into going down in the not too distant
future.

	Regards,

	Neil

--
* Neil A Carson (Carson@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk)
* The Royal Military College of Science, Shrivenham.