Subject: Re: Mac68k console-break disable
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/1997 13:20:19

> On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > But I was hoping to use sysctl as a quick hack. Looks like I can't.
>
> Bill, have you considered creating an ioctl on the console driver to
> handle this case?

I could. Hopefully it could become a M.I. definition (not necessarily
always implimented, just defined). The thing though is that you have to
have a program to manipulate it. For situations where you already have a
program (like ppp, or a terminal package), ioctl's are great.

But for light-weight system administration, I'd favor some other
method. sysctl and something in kernfs come to mind. But sysctl runs
into the problem I've described, and kernfs doesn't (seem) to support
subdirectories yet. The latter is probably easy to add, but I've not
looked at it close-enough.

I'll probably end up adding two ioctl's (get and set) and write a little
program to twiddle the settings.

Take care,

Bill