Subject: Re: Problem with macfs, a macOS file system
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/10/1997 19:29:04

> On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately when the kernel panics so, no stack trace is available
> > for anything other than the point of the address error exception handler.
>
> Did you compile your kernel with DDB?  When a panic occurs with DDB it
> will give a stack trace and end at the ddb prompt.  If you issue a 'trace'
> command from there, it will give you valuble information as to the state
> of the system when the error occurred.  If you posted that to the list, it
> would help a lot.

Dangd high-falutin' english. What I was trying to say (with the word
"so") was that when the kernel crashes in this manner, though I do have
ddb in the kernel, and can ask for a stack trace, all I get is
something like:

Debugger()
panic(...)
... (forgot if there was some dispatcher listed here or not)
address error catcher
-----

I'm adlibbing a fair bit, but the sticky point is that there's NOTHING
listed after the address error catcher.

If I'd been able to see what part of the macfs code was illing, I'd
be asking for help with it. :-)

Take care,

Bill