Subject: Adding port-dependant things to sysctl
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/10/1997 17:34:40
I'm wanting to add a mac68k-specific option to sysctl (a flag to let the
superuser turn on or off the ability of a break on the serial console
to drop us into the debugger).

I've added it to the machine-dependant part of the kernel code, and
it's in the header files. I can READ it without problem. I just can't
seem to SET it. From looking at the sysctl code, each settable option
must be explicitly defined in a case statement.

Is there some way we can change this? We export a whole tree of names and
types. Can't sysctl just look at that, and let the kernel decide if the
value's read-only or not?

I'd rather not hack this one item into the source (could be in a big
#if def) as all the other ports will have to see it. :-(

Thoughts?

Take care,

Bill