Subject: Re: another question about bus_space_map
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/04/1997 15:27:10
>> [...example, a once-only setup and allocate routine...]

> So, what happens if the autoconfiguration code decides _not_ to (for
> whatever reason) attach the device even if the match succeeds?

Or if the match fails, for that matter?  (You'll notice my once-only
setup was called at the _beginning_ of the match routine.)  Exactly my
question: what bad thing happens in that case, what provokes the
dictum?  Given cgd's reply, it seems that the answer is, "the allocated
resource (memory, in this case) is never freed even if it turns out it
is unnecessary for system operation".

I'm not sure I feel that justifies the dictum, especially on tech-kern;
however, it does answer the question I asked, and I'll shut up now.

					der Mouse