Subject: Re: "esp" driver reorg proposal
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/26/1997 15:20:40
Hi,

[Gordon want's to share esp driver]

I say, good idea, this makes it look cleaner and increases the
possibilities to reuse it in different ports, like the sun3x port :-)

> The machine-dependent code:
> 	arch/alpha/include/espvar.h
> 	arch/alpha/tc/esp.c
> 	arch/sparc/include/espvar.h
> 	arch/sparc/dev/esp.c
> 	arch/sun3x/include/espvar.h
> 	arch/sun3x/dev/esp.c

Just one question, though. Why does the alpha have a seperate
directory for each bus, whereas sparc and sun3x don't? Wouldn't
it be more logical to have seperate directories for busses on
all architectures? I just had a look at i386 and they have
these directories as well. Or is there just one bus in sparc
architectures and thus it didn't get a proper name? I ask
this, because I know that SUN is working on PCI-based workstations,
which would introduce another bus to the sparc architecture
(besides S-bus (and M-bus?)).
The same holds true for other architectures like the amiga, which
has a single dev directory.

  Guenther