Subject: Re: device names (Re: your mail)
To: Christian Kuhtz , Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/21/1997 16:16:56
On Jan 21, 12:14pm, Christian Kuhtz wrote:
}
} It'll still be a confusing for people migrating, let's say, an SS1
} from SunOS to NetBSD.  However, I believe that's outweighed by a

      Consider the same person migrating that SS1 from SunOS 4.x to
SunOS 5.x (Solaris 2.x).  In one you have /dev/sd0a, and in the other
you have /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 (i.e. things aren't even consistent across
different versions of UNIX from the same vendor on the same hardware).

} unique identity for NetBSD across all platforms anytime.

     I agree that NetBSD should be internally consistent, and only
externally consistent where necessary (binary emulation) or it doesn't
conflict with internal consistency.  I've administrated many different
versions of UNIX.  When working on any particular version, I think
along OS lines, not hardware lines (in some cases, when doing remote
administration, I have never seen the hardware).

} You always need to learn new vocab for new OS's, but you shouldn't need to
} within the same OS across platforms.

     Yep, see above.  SunOS 4.x and 5.x tend to follow the base OS
from which they were derived (4.3 BSD and SVR4).

}-- End of excerpt from Christian Kuhtz