Subject: This is my console and this is my other console
To: None <cgd@CS.cmu.edu>
From: David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/21/1997 09:29:04
> when units of the device are 'attach'ed, if they're the console device
> (there can be only one! 8-)

Some machines have more than one console.  (Pyramid, and, uh, oh yeah,
Sequent spring to mind)  Typically the 2nd console is connected to
a modem and when there is a problem you enable the "remote" console,
Service dials in and assists.  Both ports accept keyboard input and
output goes to both screens.  Great fun if you have different terminal
types and use a screen editor!

The Alpha Multia/UDB has at least two somewhat independant consoles
when at the firmware level.  (TGA and the 1st rs-232 port.  I haven't
tried the 2nd rs-232 port as console yet)

I'd like to see this capability added to NetBSD someday.

-Dave