Subject: Re: Possible new device name
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/21/1997 16:40:28
According to Jason Thorpe:

>On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:17:33 -0800 (PST)
> Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com> wrote:
>
> > In SunOS, the driver is named 'pp', short for 'parallel port'.  If
> > possible, I'd like to use that name to help avoid confusion among new
> > users of NetBSD.  However, I can see where 'pp' might be a possible
> > conflict with other common devices in the future, given that its name is
> > so short. Does anyone have any objections?
>
>"pp" seems OK with me... I'm not aware of any other devices of that name
>in the tree... The historical name of that device is "lpt", of course,
>but as per a thread on another list, that can also be a misleading
>name, since there are many more things that plug into parallel ports
>these days.

Just a bit of a nit-pick here, from all the Suns I have dealt with the
device name for the parallel port is "bpp" (for bidirectional parallel
port) instead of "pp".

BTW if we had a ppp that ran over the bpp would that be bppppp??? ;-)

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.