Subject: Re: Possible new device name
To: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/20/1997 20:17:41
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:17:33 -0800 (PST)
 Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com> wrote:

 > In SunOS, the driver is named 'pp', short for 'parallel port'.  If
 > possible, I'd like to use that name to help avoid confusion among new
 > users of NetBSD.  However, I can see where 'pp' might be a possible
 > conflict with other common devices in the future, given that its name is
 > so short. Does anyone have any objections?

"pp" seems OK with me... I'm not aware of any other devices of that name
in the tree... The historical name of that device is "lpt", of course,
but as per a thread on another list, that can also be a misleading
name, since there are many more things that plug into parallel ports
these days.