Subject: Re: sparc/alpha esp driver
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/20/1997 13:14:17
   From: "Gordon W. Ross" <gwr@mc.com>
   Date: Fri, 17 Jan 97 16:33:53 EST

   The sun3x port needs an esp driver.  At present, it appears that
   we are faced with the prospect of adding yet another batch of ugly
	   #ifdef BARF_DRIVER
	   #endif
   sections to a copy of sys/arch/sparc/dev/esp.c unless some better
   way is developed to handle the necessary machine-dependent glue.

Thats what the esp_[busname]_match and esp_[busname]_attach stuff in
connection with the abstract address space (sometimes called "bus")
stuff is about :-)

   Personally, I'd rather have the MD glue in separate files, with
   the MI part of the driver in sys/dev/ic or something.

I second this request.

With a properly splitted ESP driver, we would even have a chance to
replace the Amiga sfas driver, which is horribly buggy.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis