Subject: Re: CRITICAL ** Holes in default cron jobs ** CRITICAL
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/31/1996 10:11:30
> Another variant would be syscalls which took a (fd, name) pair
> instead of just a name.

> I'm not sure we need this in the absolute sense, as given fchdir, you
> can simulate this in about 5 syscalls:

> 	tmp=open(".");fchdir(fd);random-op(name);fchdir(tmp);close(tmp);

Only in some cases.  You can't open(".") if you're in a directory you
have x access but not r access to.  (This is something I've thought of
as a botch for quite a while - I think you should be able to open it
but not read from it.  Perhaps we need an O_NOIO, parallel to O_RDONLY,
O_WRONLY, O_RDWR?)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca