Subject: Re: readdisklabel() question
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/04/1996 06:50:17
> When the sd driver sets a bunch of geometry info in the disklabel
> structure and then calls readdisklabel(), if the partition has a Sun
> disklabel, all that geometry info gets clobbered.  (so, why does sd
> do it?)

Not that I should be considered authoritative (ha!)...but my guess is,
the sd driver is dumping stuff in there in case the disk _doesn't_ have
a disklabel, in which case what it's put there is, essentially, a
default disklabel so the disk is minimally accessible until someone can
write a real label to it.

As for what the proper interface to readdisklabel() is, I don't know.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca