Subject: Re: When is ELF coming?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@auchentoshan.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/26/1996 02:01:33
> By contrast, ELF already has shared libraries and weak symbols.  There
> is no additional work to do.

That's not _entirely_ true, at least on the alpha -- there are
features which are lacking which can rightly be called bugs (e.g. it
runs out of GOT space and dies, rather than using multiple GOTs).

However, thankfully, there are people looking into and fixing those
bugs, and _we_ don't have to write the code to fix them.  8-)

Being able to leverage off others' work is the prime reason i like
ELF.  I absolutely hate some of its "features," esp. the inability to
easily figure out what OS a binary is compiled for.  However, _I_
can't invest any time in solving the rest of the problems that other
executable formats have, so ELF is far better than they are, in my
eyes.

chris