Subject: Re: When is ELF coming?
To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@cygnus.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/23/1996 22:02:19
On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> I think that somebody else commented that it was difficult to tell
> whether an ELF program was dynamically linked.  Actually, it's
> relatively simple: just see whether there is a PT_INTERP program
> header.

This may be a stupid question, but my ELF docs haven't arrived yet,
so I'm working only on what I've seen in Chapter 6 of Pate's _Unix
Internals_ (which describes SCO). However: if there is a PT_INTERP
program header, this contains the pathname to the dynamic linker,
right? This means that, assuming different systems have different
pathnames naming the dynamic linker, we can easily distinguish
between ELF binaries from different systems, right?

Wouldn't this allow us to tell the difference between Linux and
SCO executables?

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.