Subject: Re: When is ELF coming?
To: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/23/1996 12:16:57
Can you tell us more about OLF?   Who invented it?   Who's using it?
I can't think of any argument against using it, particularly if
somebody's already done the toolchain mods.   A minor tweak to the GNU
toolchain is a lot better than a major tweak.   The problem is that
it would probably need to be anointed by at least one free OS before
the GNU people would buy back the changes.

We've talked in the past about either modifying the ELF header to add
a machine type field, or changing the first four bytes to
differentiate, but I can't recall anybody ever suggesting doing both.
This sounds like a good solution.

			       _MelloN_