Subject: Re: Kernel calls - args in registers
To: J.T. Conklin <jtc@rhino.cygnus.com>
From: Jim Wise <jw250@columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/1996 22:57:48
On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, J.T. Conklin wrote:

> Jonathan> Are there better alternatives, these days, than rewriting
> Jonathan> all the locore routines to use different calling convention?
> Jonathan> Like maybe adding attributes to a declaration to disable -mrtd?
>
> Gcc's i386 port has __attribute__((stdcall)).  It shouldn't be
> difficult to add it to the m68k port as well.

Just a thought -- do we want to be even _more_ dependent on our compiler
being gcc?  I know gcc is about as portable as they get, but it seems a
poor choice to depend on extensions which are specific to one compiler.
(Mind you, we already do to some extent...  `long long' jumps immediately
to mind.)

--
				Jim Wise
				System Administrator