Subject: Re: proposal for MI floppy formatting
To: None <>
From: Gordon W. Ross <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/19/1996 14:12:16
> From: "Matthias Pfaller" <>
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 16:27:53 +0100 (MEZ)
> It would be nice if one could pass an array containing the
> sectornumbers. That way it would be possible to do interleave,
> cylinder/head skew and to do some wierd formats like old OS9 (where
> sector numbers start with 0 and not with 1) or Amstrad CPC floppies (where
> sector numbers start at 0x01, 0x41 or 0xC1 depending on the filesystem
> type). Flags to select between FM/MFM and between ISO/IBM-34 format
> would be nice as well.
> Matthias

That sort of flexibility is nice, however, I hope to see a fairly
general-purpose interface for floppy disk parameter control; i.e.
one that does not presume much knowledge about the capabilities
of the particular hardware.  Asking this interface to allow those
strange sector numbering schemes looks pretty low-level to me.

I might suggest instead that strange formats like that might be
supported by a different ioctl that makes no attempt to hide the
attributes of the actual hardware (i.e. NEC 765 or Intel 82072)
and gives you pretty much raw access to that hardware.