Subject: Re: proposal for MI floppy formatting
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/18/1996 00:24:27
>> It also removes the need to maintain duplicate sets of tables in the userland
>> formatting program.
>
> uh, why should there be any tables in the user-land formatting program
> _at all_?

The specs leave it open where the parameters could come from. I suggested
one way of obtaining them through the interface described in the spec.

I can think of these options:

	- get a driver-supported set from an ioctl.
	- specify some or all with command line options (a la mkfs)
	- have a set of built-in well-known floppy formats
	- have a set of well-known floppy formats in a configuration file
		("disktabish", as you suggested).

-pk