Subject: Re: Testing for devices in kernel startup
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/04/1996 14:47:01
On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Christopher R. Bowman wrote:

> >I've gotten kinda tired of seeing people run into problems from installing
> >w/o building devices.

This is primarily a NetBSD/mac68k-specific problem.  Not that it doesn't
happen on other ports, but most of them have an install script that makes
devices as a part of the normal installation procedure.

To put it another way, der Mouse's PR is a solution to the more general
problem.  I think most of what Bill is seeing is more specific to a
particular port's installation procedure, though.

> Not bad, but I think that we ought to write a small faq about installing
> and some frequent errors, and tips, and instructions, and add a help menu
> to the installer and the booter that would display these FAQs and TIP,
> [...]

This suggestion is definitely Mac-specific and not related to tech-kern at
all, so I've only Bcc:'ed that list to prevent further noise there.  I
encourage further followups along this line of thought (but in the
appropriate place :-).

--scott