Subject: Re: But why?
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Larry McVoy <lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/25/1996 15:16:12
: I think you totally misunderstand what AFS is for.  Yes, it's big and
:
: We brought the number of NFS read-only binary servers down from the
: mid 30's to FIVE AFS servers.  And performance everywhere was still
: vastly improved.  Local caching is a BIG win.  Plus it gave us stuff

Check out cachefs.  cachefs + nfs is pretty close to AFS in many ways, without
some of the AFS problems.  I'll admit that AFS has some cool stuff.  I'd love
to see that cool stuff get added to NFS without all the DCE bloat.