Subject: Re: But why?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Larry McVoy <lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/1996 22:37:08
: I consult to companies that go belly up if their machines don't perform.

Sheesh, I wouldn't hire you and I do that sort of shit for living.

: If you are using NFS in a high performance application you're a
: fool. (I've told this to several ISPs, by the way.) Algorithm problems
: again, you know. (BTW, the number of kilometers of fiber doesn't
: appreciably change the problem.)  Switching to AFS, or a dedicated
: protocol to feed data in and out of your cray, would make vastly more
: sense than using NFS. Most Crays get fed by amazing disk and tape
: arrays, by the way -- not NFS.

He he.  Boy did you step in that time.  Cray can't keep up with us.
Cray is dumping their file system to use SGI's  (you know, the place that
hires people like David.  You'd fit in at the old Cray just fine.  Not
any more.)

SGI's NFS get's 20MB/sec over Hippi.  Add the "-o bds" option and you get
80MB/sec.  Oh, did I mention that we scale?  3 processes is 190MB/sec.
That's bytes, not bits, bucky boy.  Cray, my ass.  AFS?  Don't make me
laugh, what a joke.  AFS is 10-out-of-10 on the bloato meter.

: NFS isn't built for this. The writeback garbage you have to deal with
: is horrendous. Algorithm problems -- not something buming code will fix.

You know, I'm getting really sick of you.  You are full of claims of
knowledge about how to do things.  But you aren't doing them - you are
a consumer of the work that people like David do.  What's the old saying?
Those who can, do, those who can't teach?  You sound like a half assed
teacher to me.  You don't sound like someone that has lived in a kernel
for a few years, making it better, supporting it, etc.  If you had, you
would be singing a different tune.

: I think I've made my point.

Yeah, keep making it.  You look better with every reply.  More and more
like a bitter old man that didn't do what he wanted with his life, so
he wants to shit on everything that others are doing.  You aren't going
to make any friends that way.