Subject: Re: Com Problems Under 1.2
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
From: Stefan Grefen <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/1996 11:20:27
In message <>  "Michael L. VanLoon --" wrote:
> [...]
> >on the problem. I've got an Asus Triton II motherboard with built-in
> >16550 serial ports. Under Linux these serial ports function just
> >fine. Under NetBSD 1.2 and 1.1, however, if I attempt to write to
> >the serial port without a CD signal present (CLOCAL is on), I get
> >an I/O error. If CD is present, it works fine. I do not see this
> >behaviour on the built-in serial ports on an ASUS PVI-486SP3G
> >motherboard running NetBSD 1.2.
> I can't even use the serial ports on my Asus P55TP4N (Triton-1).  They
> don't work under NetBSD, Windows NT, or even Windows 95.  It was
> probably one of the really dorky versions of their do-everything I/O
> chips.

I have a problem with serial ports on a P55TP4N too.

Doing an "stty 1200; sending/receiving some bytes ; stty 9600" after a
reboot usualy gets it running again. It looks like a problem in the handling of
the broken FIFO.

I'm thinking of adding a quirk for broken FIFO's to reset the com-speed
after booting.

Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.                       High Performance Research Center
You should never bet against anything in science at odds of more than
about 10^12 to 1.
                -- Ernest Rutherford