Subject: Re: Com Problems Under 1.2
To: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/1996 01:15:20
[...]
>on the problem. I've got an Asus Triton II motherboard with built-in
>16550 serial ports. Under Linux these serial ports function just
>fine. Under NetBSD 1.2 and 1.1, however, if I attempt to write to
>the serial port without a CD signal present (CLOCAL is on), I get
>an I/O error. If CD is present, it works fine. I do not see this
>behaviour on the built-in serial ports on an ASUS PVI-486SP3G
>motherboard running NetBSD 1.2.

I can't even use the serial ports on my Asus P55TP4N (Triton-1).  They
don't work under NetBSD, Windows NT, or even Windows 95.  It was
probably one of the really dorky versions of their do-everything I/O
chips.

On the other hand, the serial ports on my Asus P6NP5 (Natoma) work
just fine under all the above mentioned operating systems.  It also
uses an do-everything I/O chip, but evidently of different heritage.

I've heard of several versions of multi-I/O chips on Asus boards where
the serial ports were funky.  I believe FreeBSD integrated a fix in
their serial driver for the majority of the problems.  You might ask
around there.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net