Subject: Re: SUGID bit in coredump()
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Curt Sampson <curt@portal.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/18/1996 16:35:37
On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, matthew green wrote:

> that's the whole poit of the SUGID bit -- it is set once at
> process creation.  the ftpd case you cite is infact what my
> second sentence refers to.  :-)

I may be missing something here. Is it set when a process starts
from an suid or sgid file? If that's the case, it won't work for
ftpd, because it's not setuid. It's started by inetd, which is
running as root.

If we turn on the SUGID bit as soon as a root process does a
setXXid() call, even if it wasn't an suid/sgid program, then this
will work.

cjs

Curt Sampson    curt@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.