Subject: Re: kern/2855: deadlock when trying to mount a directory onto itself
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/18/1996 01:59:02
John Kohl writes:
> CGD> [a mount locking bug] was fixed in 4.4BSD-Lite2, but the relevant
> CGD> changes have never been integrated into NetBSD.
>
> This brings to mind an old question:  What's remaining of merging
> 4.4BSD-Lite2 to NetBSD?  Are there plans to do so, or explicit plans to
> not do so?

I can only speak to Userland.

Thor and I were working along at a good clip and got distracted. I am
currently attempting to persuade him to spend a week in December
crunched down next to a terminal with me as we do a marathon Userland
4.4lite2 merge. (We were doing very well with the "lock selves into
room with coffee and two machines" technique the last time we were at
it.)

This may very well still happen -- it would be especially neat if we
could get others involved.

As for kernelland, well, I'm not enough of a kernel hacker to do most
of those changes unsupervised, but I would suggest that *someone* has
to take the project on as a personal responsibility for it to
happen. Its a question of someone saying "me!"

Perry