Subject: Re: Kernel doc -- Jolitz 386BSD book?
To: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/06/1996 14:42:35
> *Which* Jolitz & Jolitz book?  "386BSD from the Inside out"  or "The
> Basic Kernel" from the "Operating System Source Code Secrets" series?
>
> I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the latter.  It seems like mostly
> undocumented code surrounded by lots of unhelpful words to me.

I _think_ the latter (dated from 1996).

At a first glance, it appealed to me _because_ of the code snippets. I
am on my way writing a mac68k floppy driver and in desperate need of
information about the device driver framework (autoconfig and such); the
Red Book only touches these issues at the surface, and any books about
writing device drivers seem to concentrate on SysV (and 4.3BSD VAX
heritage :-( ). At the moment, I am frequently 'making phantoms I can
later chase' (Magazine) because I lack understanding.

BTW: I find that 4.4BSD issues that are covered by U. Vahalia: 'Unix
Internals' are usually explained much clearer there than in the Red
Book.

Jason Thorpe's disk(9) is the only related source of information I found
within the NetBSD distribution; SMM:2 (Building 4.4BSD Kernels with
Config) described the VAX world (mba/uba) and is gone.

But, yes, the Jolitzes' words around the code didn't look very helpful
to me, too.

        hauke

--
"It's never straight up and down"  (DEVO)