To: Terry Lambert <>
From: Stefan Grefen <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/1996 13:27:47
In message <>  Terry Lambert wrote:
> > I'm hoping to avoid somebody saying "But I don't WANT it to rearrange my
> > data, and put it on different disks automatically!". Of course, you could
> > still cut off that feature. In that event, it could still give you hints.
> Generate an event stream as a reasult of FS events, then, and export
> the stream interface.
> This is generally useful for things like "Hi, I'm a browser, tell me
> when the directory changes so I can redisplay it instead of polling
> it every 10 seconds like a Macintosh does to an AppleTalk Server".
> The events would be interpreted by a management facility with active
> components.  By default, the active components would not be provided
> (ie: you want that type of behaviour, you write it).
> See the AFS documentation for more information on this type of event
> processing facility.

Or have a look at the purposed DMIG (Data Management Interface Group)
standard. (

If anybody starts to implement this, count me in.

> 					Terry Lambert
> ---
> or previous employers.

Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.                       High Performance Research Center
You should never bet against anything in science at odds of more than
about 10^12 to 1.
                -- Ernest Rutherford