To: Kevin P. Neal <>
From: Terry Lambert <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/1996 14:45:11
> I'm hoping to avoid somebody saying "But I don't WANT it to rearrange my
> data, and put it on different disks automatically!". Of course, you could
> still cut off that feature. In that event, it could still give you hints.

Generate an event stream as a reasult of FS events, then, and export
the stream interface.

This is generally useful for things like "Hi, I'm a browser, tell me
when the directory changes so I can redisplay it instead of polling
it every 10 seconds like a Macintosh does to an AppleTalk Server".

The events would be interpreted by a management facility with active
components.  By default, the active components would not be provided
(ie: you want that type of behaviour, you write it).

See the AFS documentation for more information on this type of event
processing facility.

					Terry Lambert
or previous employers.