To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/1996 01:44:54
At 01:18 AM 10/2/96 -0400, Chris G Demetriou wrote:
>> The coolest would be the kernel sysloging messages like "spare bandwidth
>> on controller Y, suggest moving data over there off of controller X."
>> Or even for disks. Or even for virtual partitions.
>
>Uh, the state of the art in "cool" is actually beyond that already.
>
>It's now into the realm of "ahh, i see you're use of this data is
>different than your use of this other data, so i'm going to store them
>differently."  See HP's AutoRaid work.  (For even more bizarre "cool,"
>see AFRAID... "ahh, i see you want more performance and less
>reliability for this data!  i will dynamically adjust!")

I'm hoping to avoid somebody saying "But I don't WANT it to rearrange my
data, and put it on different disks automatically!". Of course, you could
still cut off that feature. In that event, it could still give you hints.

Perhaps we are saying slightly different things.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu