To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/1996 01:06:41
At 01:12 PM 10/1/96 -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>Just where do you propose to keep this information?
>>
>>(Hint: it's going to be machine-dependent.)
>
>VxFS runs on many different different platforms and uses this approach, but
>I would expect a per OS not per machine type solution.  I haven't given it
>a tremendous amount of thought, but I assumed that it would be part of the
>BSD disklabel.

Know of a good online source of info on VxFS? Perhaps a good book that might
show up in a university library?

>>How does the way the ccd is configured not allow you to move your
>>disks around (to different controllers, etc.)?
>>
>>(Hint: it doesn't.)
>
>Last time I looked at CCD, it did.  What I mean by moving my disks around
>is handling situations like, "Gee, I'm not getting enough bandwidth using
>only one controller here.  I think I'll buy a second one and split up my
>disks."  After turning off the machine, sticking in the new controller and
>messing with some cables, I should be able to simply power on the system
>and have everything work transparently.

The coolest would be the kernel sysloging messages like "spare bandwidth
on controller Y, suggest moving data over there off of controller X."
Or even for disks. Or even for virtual partitions.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu