To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/1996 21:44:42
In message <199610011806.LAA02439@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>, Jason Thorpe writes:
>On Tue, 01 Oct 1996 09:53:02 -0700
> "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Actually, I don't think it is.  CCD should be relying on information stored
> > in a private area of the disk to determine what stripe sets what partitions

I agree.

>Just where do you propose to keep this information?
>
>(Hint: it's going to be machine-dependent.)

not if done right.

I know at least one VolMgr that will search the first X Mb of the disk looking
for a signature...

>When you say "open the partition", which partition are you opening?
>
>(Hint: if you're opening /dev/sd0a, then you have to put all kinds of
>crap to find the "ccd block" in the SCSI disk driver, and the IDE disk
>driver, and the Xylogics disk drivers, and...)

Jason, you clearly havn't seen the light.  I'll compose an email with
my design idea, and send it but it may not be until tomorrow that I
get to it.

CCD is way to narrowminded.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.