To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/1996 09:53:02
> > For instance, why can't I have my root-partition striped ?
>
>I think a better question is "why would I _want_ my root partition striped?"
>:-)
>
>(The real answer to your question is "Becuse then you've added unnecessary
>clutter to the ccd configuration code to deal with both statically-
>and synamically-configured ccds".  In my mind, saying that your
>MUST WORK AT ALL COSTS fileystem isn't allowed to be striped is an
>acceptable trade-off :-)

Actually, I don't think it is.  CCD should be relying on information stored
in a private area of the disk to determine what stripe sets what partitions
belong to, etc.  This is how all of the industrial strength filesystem VM
systems work.  When you open the partition, you see it has a CCD block
on it, and then pass it on to CCD informing it of the dev that the block
came from.  The upside to this is that you can re-arange your disks (even
put them on different controllers) and the system still finds your array
and makes it work.  Having my root FS on a RAID 5 device makes it
more robust than having it on a single disk. This is more than enough
justification for allowing you to do this.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations