To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Poul-Henning Kamp <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/1996 09:18:47
>I'm not worried about that so much as "What hacks are you referring to?"
>If you're specific, well, maybe some effort could be made to improve the
>concatenated disk driver.

The problem I'm referring to is that this should not be done in a
pseudo-driver, but as a general framework for bdevs.

For instance, why can't I have my root-partition striped ?

There is no significant difference between the FDISK, bsd-disklabel,
mirror, stripeing and raid 5 operations.  They all translate a
(dev+blkno+len) tupple to one or more similar tupples.

I have been playing with idea this a bit and it's high on my winter
project list.

Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team. |    Private mailbox.
whois: [PHK]                |       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.