Subject: Re: Proposed change to a whole load of drivers...
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/11/1996 08:55:53
>> Basically, he wants the locators; e.g. port, irq, drq, &c., for ISA.

> Yes!  Exactly!  but at risk of showing my ignorance - are there any
> other busses that require the locators as well?  I did want the thing
> to be architecture independent.

Well, I'm not entirely certain what a "locator" is, but I do know that
a device on VME has one or more addresses (tagged with which VME size
they appear in, though that's represented under NetBSD by having a
different bus for each size I think) and zero or more interrupt
vectors, and QBUS and UNIBUS devices likewise except for the multiple
bus sizes...hmm, I wonder if any devices exist which interrupt (and
thus have interrupt vectors) but take up no bus space.  It would be a
peculiar device, but I can't see any reason it couldn't exist.  I'm not
sure it could be described to config(8) though.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D