Subject: Re: Proposed change to a whole load of drivers...
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/11/1996 08:55:53
>> Basically, he wants the locators; e.g. port, irq, drq, &c., for ISA.

> Yes!  Exactly!  but at risk of showing my ignorance - are there any
> other busses that require the locators as well?  I did want the thing
> to be architecture independent.

Well, I'm not entirely certain what a "locator" is, but I do know that
a device on VME has one or more addresses (tagged with which VME size
they appear in, though that's represented under NetBSD by having a
different bus for each size I think) and zero or more interrupt
vectors, and QBUS and UNIBUS devices likewise except for the multiple
bus sizes...hmm, I wonder if any devices exist which interrupt (and
thus have interrupt vectors) but take up no bus space.  It would be a
peculiar device, but I can't see any reason it couldn't exist.  I'm not
sure it could be described to config(8) though.

					der Mouse

		     01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D