Subject: Re: GPL'd kernel parts
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/11/1996 01:08:40
wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund) writes:

> Paul Goyette and I have been working on a MacOS fs for NetBSD. One option
> which has presented itself is "hfs_fs" which is being written for Linux.
> As such, it is GPL'd. Will this kept it out of the kernel? I gather that
> the answer is yes, but I want to know. Also, I'd like a crisper position
> from which to talk when talking to hfs_fs's author.

AFAIK, yes.

You could either ask the author to allow a BSD-style copyright to be
placed on the code or you could rewrite the whole thing, without using
the GPL'd code as a reference.

If you were not as worried about having the GPL'd version in the release,
you could also try to make it into a LKM...  :)

--Michael