Subject: Proposed change to a whole load of drivers...
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/09/1996 20:53:04
Folks,
        I have got it into my little nut that having a command that
would print the current configuration of the machine would be kind of
nice.  To this end I have been scratching around working out how to do
this.

I have a simple command that walks the alldevs queue and prints out
the names of the devices found therein.  That's nice but I want more -
I want to be able to print out the memory i/o address, dma channel (if
any) and interrupt.  This means I need to get the softc structure for
each of the drivers.  The problem is that, currently, they are
embedded into the driver code itself which means I either need to
parallel the structure in my own code (dangerous and not very nice) or
put the softc structure into a header I can include.  If there are no
objections, what I would like to do is create a header file for each
driver which contains the softc struct and have then installed into
/usr/include/machine.

Any comments/screams/alternatives?

BTW I am currently snarfing stuff out of the kernel via lseek and read
which is a bit clumsy.  It would be good if I could mmap /dev/kmem but
I am a bit wary of doing this - should I be?

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.