Subject: Re: VM subsystem
To: None <dyson@freebsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@ensta.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/05/1996 10:10:48
John S. Dyson said:

> > But, you are seriously deluded if you think it wouldn't be very much
> > work.  They went through several weeks of almost unrunnable systems
> > when the latest mega-merge of their VM code made it into the tree.
> > And they already had the base code established.
> >
> I understand the VM system as well as anyone -- and to say that changes
> can be made without very careful review is folly -- I regularly make
> fatal mistakes.  Michael is VERY VERY correct above.

Well, I know this is a longstanding project, about 3-4 month I think, with
some help for the low layer (pmap and friends).

When I said 'This doesn't seem to hard to port', I certainly didn't use the
rigth work (I still have some problems with english), and this didn't
mean "it will work in 2 days", but "I won't need to change lot of things in
the kernel, others than the VM code".

> I would suggest that a gradual movement from the original VM code to the FreeBSD
> code would be in order.

I also wanted to do this by steps, of course. But I didn't plan to
make these steps available to the world. Perhaps I should ?

We could discuss about this when I get something significant running ?

--
Manuel Bouyer, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Techniques Avancees, Paris
email: bouyer@ensta.fr