Subject: Re: VM subsystem
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@ensta.fr>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/04/1996 11:16:05
>Is there anybody working on the NetBSD WM system ?
>Yesterday, I looked at the FreeBSD diffs, when David Greenman commited the
>new merged VM buffer cache to FreeBSD. This doesn't seem to hard to port to
>NetBSD, and I could start that in the week comming. I'm not a VM guru, so I
>may need some help.

I don't want to discourage you, because it would be great if someone
ported that stuff over.

But, you are seriously deluded if you think it wouldn't be very much
work.  They went through several weeks of almost unrunnable systems
when the latest mega-merge of their VM code made it into the tree.
And they already had the base code established.

You also have to remember that everything you do needs to run on all
NetBSD platforms, not just Intel.  Their code is not written with that
in mind.

I say "go for it!"  But don't underestimate the task.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net