Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/03/1996 12:44:56
On Tue, 03 Sep 1996 11:44:07 -0700
 "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org> wrote:

 > You mean its set until we know that its a SCSI-2 device not that,
 > "Its set (always) for the SCSI-2 devices 'just in case'", right?

After discussing it with Charles, and checking the spec again, we didn't
see any reason _not_ to allow it to be set on SCSI-2 devices.  The spec
clearly states that it's allowed (albeit discouraged).  Also, in every
SCSI-2 draft I've ever seen, the LUN is clearly marked in the CDB,
further indicating to me SCSI-2 devices don't mind if it's there.

The only mention of those bits being reserved is in the section that says
those bits may be reclaimed by SCSI-3.

If there's a compelling reason to _not_ set those bits in the case of a
SCSI-2 device, I'll change it.  However, everthing thing I've seen
indicates that it's completely benign.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --