Subject: Re: Adding ELF64 support
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/03/1996 11:55:15
> >  Modifying the suggested scheme to work with config is very
> >do-able.  I thought Matt was asking how to do something like this
> >whilst still emitting only one copy of the common functions?
>

> Arrgh. After all that, I forgot to say I'd do it with attributes
> on a "cpu" device. Perhaps something like
>
> 	# devices file for a mips
> 	cpu_mips1 at mainbus: elf32
> 	cpu_mips2 at mainbubs: elf32 | elf64

but then this gets evil for those that need ELF for compat code.

Right now, there's no way to make an "option" require an attribute.
It'd be very nice if there were, however; i wouldn't at all mind
seeing an "option foo: bar baz" syntax in the files files, to declare
'standard' options (which could also be used to put those options'
flags in a header, rather than on the command line).  (Digital UNIX
(formerly DEC OSF/1!!!) does something like this.)

chris