Subject: Adding ELF64 support
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/02/1996 18:29:26
I've spent my holiday weekend getting a ELF64 toolchain running
under NetBSD/alpha.  (Yes, I have no life :-).

In doing so, I cloned exec_elf.c and made a exec_elf64.c.  However
I'm not really happy with this approach.

exec_elf.c and exec_elf64.c are almost identical except for some
reference elf_ are now elf64_ and Elf32_ are Elf64_.  Many of the
Elf32 symbols in <sys/exec_elf.h> are common to both ELF32 and
ELF64 and really should be Elf_.  Those things are elf32 specific
should be elf32 insteado elf_.

I'd really like to have an exec_elfxx.c which would preprocess by
doing 'sed -e 's/ElfXX/Elf32/g' ...' so there does not have to be
two different _elf files that are almost identical.

Would it make more sense for exec_package to define N (where N >= 1,
maybe about 8) text and data segments instead of just one text and
one data.  This would make easier to support ELF executables with
more than 2 load segments.
could be defined as the first two segments (for aout, etc.).
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message