Subject: Re: uipc_socket.c
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/19/1996 16:29:00
Michael Graff writes:
> (Christoph Badura) writes:
>> Michael Graff writes:
>> >However, I don't agree that we should allow "bad" packets to be transmitted
>> >using sendto().  IMHO, if you are going to do this, use BPF directly.
>> Why?  Do you have any reasons for that?

>Why should we _allow_ our IP output code to send bad packets?

Because, as Doug Gwyn said, Unix wasn't designed to prevent you from
doing stupid things...

>trapping errors is much more important than the (somewhat specific)
>use of sending bad packets to test stacks.

I think that these are different things that are largely independent.

I also think that the networking code should not panic because there's
some illegal or unexpected value in some protocol header.  This is a
separate issue from being able to send illegal packets.

Christoph Badura

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.