Subject: Re: uipc_socket.c
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/16/1996 02:17:00
Michael Graff writes:
>However, I don't agree that we should allow "bad" packets to be transmitted
>using sendto().  IMHO, if you are going to do this, use BPF directly.

Why?  Do you have any reasons for that?

>Right now, although I have not verified this, any raw-mode socket can
>crash the machine by setting the field ip->ip_len  to be greater than the
>data in the mbuf chain.  This is _wrong_ and will cause a kernel panic.
>IMHO, this is a bug, and should not be allowed...

Correct.  It should not happen that the machine crashes if ip->ip_len
has a bad value.  However, that has nothing to do with the ability to
send packets with bad ip->ip_len values.  The kernel should be fixed
to not panic in that case and not to silently "correct" the value.

Christoph Badura

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.