Subject: Re: i386 interrupt counters
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/14/1996 14:39:48
> > On a slightly different note, i'd also like the ability to avoid
> > associating event counters with devices.
>
> Perhaps old style per-interrupt-line counter and stray interrupt
> counter could be integrated with new style counter in this way.

I'd say "no" to that.  8-)

"Interrupt line" counters have _some_ device to be associated with,
it's just a question of which one.  The problem with doing them with
the current code is that you can't have multiple distinctly-named
interrupt counters per device.

In "my little world," the right thing is to e.g. have ISA IRQ lines
associated with their bus, i.e.:

	isa0 irq 0
	isa0 irq 1

etc.

That opens the possibility for multiple ISA busses in a given machine
(which isn't as far fetched as you'd think 8-).

cgd