Subject: Re: More config changes, for ro source tree and disjoint build trees
To: Michael Graff <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/14/1996 00:39:41
According to Michael Graff:
>To be honest, I would rather see something which allowd you to nearly
>build a kernel config file from a running kernel.

I have been thinking about this one a lot.  I have come up with the
idea that you should be able to take the dmesg output from a boot of a
generic kernel and use the information in there to tie down all the
hardware interrupts and so on.  With a bit of appropriate user
interaction (e.g. spotting they have a network card or are using
ppp/slip and offering any networky type options WITH explanations of
what they do) you should be able to build a customised kernel for the
machine and, possibly, build and install the kernel for the person.

I would like to use this as a chance to do some real lex/yacc work - I
have dabbled with them before but this could be a "valid learning
experience" :-)

> I would love to see
>some sort of "supported options" list in the kernel itself, with names
>and status info.

Is there a list out of the kernel with explanations?  (apart from the
vague intimations in the GENERIC kernel config comments....)

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.