Subject: Re: More config changes, for ro source tree and disjoint build trees
To: Simon Burge <>
From: Charles M. Hannum <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/11/1996 19:49:29
Simon Burge <> writes:

> While talking about config(8), is it worth thinking about keeping
> config(8) in /usr/src/sys somewhere?
> When the config file format changes in any way, you can no longer use
> /usr/sbin/config to configure a new kernel, and similary you can't
> build a kernel from an older src tree if /usr/sbin/config has been
> updated to understand a newer config file format.

Really, the preferred solution here is to just avoid needing to change
config(8) often.  It's true that the switch to, and then
the cf_attach changes, caused incompatibilities.  However, all of the
changes I've proposed are backward compatible (or at least *can* be,
if we leave default `S?=' lines in the Makefiles) with 1.2.