Subject: Re: install could use some static binaries
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/09/1996 12:06:21
On Wed, 07 Aug 1996 00:18:23 -0400
 Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

 > That's my opinion, too, but I was told that what the Alpha port does
 > is most appriately done in disklabel(8) itself (at least given the
 > current set of disklabel ioctls)...

Yes ... The disklabel ioctl suite will definitely have to change with the
New World Order.

Matthew Green suggested something interesting ... Perhaps a library that
could live in userland (so that mdec programs could use it) and is copied
up to the kernel (a'la libc/libkern) ... this could help to address a
concern that Jonathan Stone had, that being that it would be nice to have
userland utilities to do cross-disklabeling from non-NetBSD platforms.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --